7/11/07

Apple iPhone A Mini Review: Typing Is Hard

So the other day I was on 5th avenue on my way to Tiffany's to return something. It was excruciatingly hot out so I took shelter at the Mac Store of course! This was my first time there and it was definitely pretty cool. The place is designed nicely and they have plenty of gadgets out for you to play with. I was drooling over the big Apple Mac Pro towers with their huge LCD monitors. They are so cool, but pricey as hell. I'm good with my iMac for now. They had plenty of iPhones out to play with so I grabbed one and started messing with it.

First thing I noticed is that it is thinner than I had thought and that the screen resolution looked really good considering the screen was touched by who knows how many sweaty, sticky, and dirty hands. The user interface was nice and similar to Mac OS X so it was very familiar. Next I tried watching some videos on YouTube. This was very easy to do and fast. The resolution of the videos was also very good. You see the videos in wide screen mode. However typing is a mess. You can't get the virtual keyboard to appear while in wide screen mode. That really pissed me off. Typing on the iPhone took a long ass time. Next I tried to connect to the internet and read my blog. Its wi-fi worked great but loading a page was slow. Typing into the search box was a pain in the ass. Eventually I was able to do it but honestly I don't think I would want to spend so much time to get to one site. Over time you can bookmark frequently visited pages. It would be good to import your bookmarks or integrate a social bookmarking tool like delicious.

Overall though I would say its pretty cool gadget and they were selling like hotcakes the whole time I was there. Its just too much for this blogger to justify. If they get better apps for it I would definitely consider it. In the meantime I'll wait for the next gen iPhone.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. (If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada. If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).

Anonymous said...

For the first time I absolutely 100% disagree with one of your posts. :)

LastNYCHero said...

Can you type with it in widescreen view? I'm sure you can get used to it but I thought it would be easier.

Anonymous said...

You can type in widescreen view when using Safari. SMS and email I'm not sure about but I think the answer is no. That could certainly be done with a software upgrade though.